20 Things We Love @ BU: February 2018
In the month of love, here are 20 things we love to help get you through the end-of-winter doldrums:
1. Summer doesn't have to have a monopoly on "sexy" style. Follow my lead and "treat yo self" to a sweater that is both alluring AND cozy (like this one). It may cause you to stop wishing winter away.
2. Need to exercise your laugh muscles? The Panda vs. Snowman video still gives me a serious case of the giggles.
3. For that awkward period when the snow is melting but you don't need to wear snowboots but you still need something weatherproof . . . I've been traipsing around in these Frye boots. What I especially love: I can wear them laced up under skinny jeans or unlaced over.
4. My winter Sunday Funday = cooking up some cold-weather comfort food + curling up with a good book or movie. To add extra emphasis on the "Fun," I like to kick it up a notch kitchen in a cheery apron.
5. Speaking of movies, the Oscars are just around the corner. I love treating myself to a solo matinee. Two leading ladies gave me all the chills in their performances this year: Margot Robbie in I, Tonya and Frances McDormand in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
7. Netflix, chill, and set your drink on these punny coasters. Which coast are you? (Also great housewarming gifts.)
8. What do you "meme" winter's not over? Winter is perfect for a game night. If you love Cards Against Humanity but have memorized most of the cards like I have, try the latest adult game bringing game night laughs: "What Do You Meme?"
9. Add some much-needed green to your winter even if you don't have a green thumb. I've been assured "air plants" are really hard to kill! They are soil free, can be used as wall art, and need minimal watering. (Sounds like the goldfish of houseplants!) See some cool ways to decorate with air plants here.
10. I've been looking for a vintage-style letterboard to hang in my kitchen. I found the perfect one from Letterfolk and am eager to pull the trigger, but am still trying to decide between "the Wordsmith" in white or grey. Thoughts?
1. I'm desperately waiting for spring to come. So for now I will just dream about it while I wrap my neck with this Paul Smith beauty.
2. Indoor season is in full swing, and I'd much rather have friends over than brave the cold. Bribe your loved ones to visit with this recipe from heaven: Avocado Chocolate Bread. You are welcome.
3. My kitchen is a winter pick-me-up with my new tea towels
4. My commute got an upgrade: I got a flask . . . a TEA flask. I can now take my loose tea with me on the go.
5. Being indoors at an art show is one of my favorite winter activities. (Did you know I am an Art Historian?) David Hockney’s show at the Met surprised me greatly. You have time to check it out until 2/25.
6. Speaking of art: Have you heard of Jamie Beck (the photographer; not the writer)? She is a commercial photographer who is slowly gravitating towards fine art. My words can't do justice to her work. Check out her breathtaking art: start with her self-portrait series and click your way to the rest HERE and then HERE.
7. I'm waiting for spring weather and dreaming about “one layer will do it today." Once it is finally here, you will see me dressing up or down my favorite classic shirt.
9. 'Tis the season for online shopping. I'm upgrading my white T-shirt game and having some fun while I’m at it.
10. If winter insists on staying longer, I might as well find a way to enjoy the view. A few years ago, I found The Dewitt, a B&B in Oak Hill, NY. My husband and I have been back twice already. It's owned by two friends Dorothée and Diane, who keep the house so beautifully and also make the most yummy breakfast. The whole experience is pure joy and pleasure. It's the perfect weekend getaway!